Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Links and Resources
Career Information, Company Profiles and Contacts
- The Inside Track to Careers in Real Estate
- by Stan Ross and James Carberry
- If you are interested in real estate development this book is a great starting point for you. Mr. Ross writes concise and retains the ability to keep the reader excited to turn to the next page. The Inside Track to Careers in Real Estate gives a realistic snapshot of the real estate market. Whether you are a student in high school, collage,
or looking for a career move, this book will give you the information you will need to start off and excel in real estate development.
- Vault Guide to Real Estate Careers
- by Raul Saavedra, Jr.
- Real estate is big money and big business. The real estate industry is home to some of the wealthiest businesspeople on the planet, like Donald Trump, Leona Helmsley and Sam Zell. Yet the industry also touches each one of us, whether you're looking for a new apartment with a backyard or checking out the new "big box" store that's opening up in your city.
- Real-Resumes for Real Estate & Property Management Jobs
- Examples of resumes that worked in getting someone a job in real estate.
- How to Succeed in Commercial Real Estate
- How to Succeed in Commercial Real Estate is a comprehensive, practical book for those considering entering the field of commercial real estate, those just beginning in the business, as well as experienced brokers and sales managers who want to evaluate and strengthen their current strategies—especially those related to listings, negotiations, contracts, and sales.
The author provides a straightforward overview of the business of selling commercial property, including coverage of the four main specialty areas –retail, office, industrial, and investment—as well as crossovers and emerging specialties. Rather than pumping a "get rich quick" approach to selling, the author shows brokers that they don’t have to sacrifice integrity and ethics to remain competitive and deal oriented.
- Vault Guide to the Top Real Estate Employers
- Get the inside scoop on the most important real estate employers, with company overviews, recent company news, info on the hiring process, and more. This new Vault guide features the top employers in the industry, including CB Richard Ellis, Tishman Speyer, Century 21, Vornado Realty and more.
- Opportunities in Property Management Careers
- Be A Successful Property Manager
- How to Build Your Real Estate Career with Passion and Authenticity
- Sell with Soul: Creating an Extraordinary Career in Real Estate without Losing Your Friends, Your Principles or Your Self-Respect
- Success as a Real Estate Agent For Dummies
- How to Become a Million Dollar Real Estate Agent in Your First Year
- The Wall Street Journal. Complete Real-Estate Investing Guidebook
- Web site that lists job opportunities in real estate.
Real Estate and Urban Economics Association (AUREA).
- An Association of academics interested in real estate. Lots of know-how accessible
through their excellent site.
- Associated General Contractors of America
- 1957 E Street, NW, Washington DC 20006, (202) 393-2040.
- Construction Managers Association of
- 12355 Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston, VA 22091. Construction
managers are responsible for organizing and managing a construction
job. This association can give you more information on who is in
this field and how to break in.
- International Association of Corporate Real
Estate Executives, NACORE
- 40 Columbia Dr., Suite 100, West Palm Beach, FL
33409, (800) 726-8111. Invites student members at a cost of $25. Get
to meet executives, receive a placement newsle tter and a resume
referral service. Also available are compensation survey, articles,
tapes, books and research reports.
- Institute of Real Estate Management
- 430 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611. (312) 329-6000
- National Association of Home Builders
and M Streets, NW, Washington DC 20005. This professional
organization represents property developers and is a good source of
information about the industry. Publishes the Builder.
Association of Industrial and Office Properties.
- The National
Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) is the trade
association for developers, owners and investors in industrial,
office and related commercial real estate. Founded in 1967, NAIOP is
comprised of 6,500+ members in 47 North American chapters and offers
its members business and networking opportunities, education
programs, research on trends and innovations and strong legislative
representation. They also have an online job bank.
Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT).
- Track goings on in one of the most dynamic sectors of the real estate
Council of Real Estate Investment Fiduciaries (NCREIF).
- Tap into
the real estate investment community through this organization. This is
where institutional money congregates.
Ideas and Know-How
Estate Economics and Finance
- Course notes from Yale University's Will Goetzmann.
Real Estate Handbook
- By R. A. Silverman, Ed., McGraw Hill. One of the few guides to the world of corporate real estate.
of Real Estate Terms
- by Jack Friedman, Jack Harris and J. Bruce Lindeman.
Barron's Real Estate Guides. This pocket-sized book
provides brief, easy-to-understand definitions of more than 2,000
terms that relate to real estate purchase, sale, taxes, and law. It
also features helpful graphs, tables, and charts, with information
updated in this new edition to reflect the current real estate market.
Estate Finance and Investment
- By William Brueggeman and Jeffrey
Fisher. A comprehensive textbook in real estate by some of the leading
thinkers in the field.
Magazines and Newspapers (Online and Off)
- Commercial Property News
- An excellent source of news, data and scoop on the world of commercial property. Highly
recommended if you have a career interest in commercial real estate.
- Corporate Real Estate Executive
- NACORE International, 440 Columbia Dr., Suite 100, West Palm Beach, FL
33409, (407) 683-8111.
- Journal of Property Management
- Institute of
Real Estate Management, (312) 329-6000. Contains a help-wanted
section but you must be a member to subscribe.
- Journal of Real Estate Research
Real Estate Society, Department of Finance, Box 8233, University of
North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND 58202.
- Mortgage Banking
- Mortgage Bankers
Association of America.
1125 15th St., NW, Washington DC 20005.
(202) 861-6555. $40/year. Covers the mortgage market.
- Real Estate Finance Today
- Mortgage Bankers
Association of America, 1125 15th St., NW, Washington DC 20005.
(202) 861-6555. Focuses on mortgage banking, the mortgage-backed
securities market and loan services.
- Real Estate Issues
- American Society of Real
Estate Counselors, Naitonal Association of Realtors, (312) 329-8257.
$27. es on major changes in real estate markets (e.g. role of REITS)
three times a year. Very good background reading.
- Real Estate Today
- National Association of
Realtors, (312) 329-8449. This is the leading magazine read by
residential real estate agents and brokers. Full of articles and ads
about the residential real estate business. Cost $25 a year ($3 if
you be long to the National Association of Realtors).
- Wall Street Journal.
- The most widely read
business periodical in the world. And it's on the net! You must register for the net
version. Great way to keep up with what's going on in the markets and the world.
The Journal often runs interesting real estate stories.
You may also be interested in Careers.wsj.com.