Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Insurance: Skills & Talents
|Key Skill Area
|Ability to synthesize:
- The Business is About Risk Transfer
- Insurance companies are in the business of assuming risk by writing policies which transfer risks from customers to
themselves. This work is challenging, complex and likely to continue to prosper.
- There are a Variety of Key Business Areas
- Insurance companies are in the business either of providing property and casualty insurance
(protect owners of cars, business and homes against loss and injury); life insurance or health insurance.
- Insurance is one of Finance's Best Kept Secrets
- Insurance may be one of the best kept secrets in the field of finance. Most students do not realize
the high growth and enormous potential for personal development and advancement that this field offers.
- People-oriented Types Who Can Listen Do Well
- The field of insurance and risk management is well-suited for those who are good listeners, who enjoy people
and are comfortable with quantitative analysis of risks.
- Most People in Insurance Don't Sell
- Many people avoid insurance careers because they perceive that the business is about selling and slickness.
Certainly, part of the business involves selling but keep in mind that insurance policies help people, especially in
times of need. Moreover, most jobs in the field do not involve direct selling.