Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Skills and Talents
The financial planning sector is booming and offers a variety of career
This field deals with the largest markets of any kind in the world and call
on the following skills:
|Key Skill Area
|Ability to synthesize:
- College Degree Important in the Profession
If you're thinking about becoming a financial planner, you should have at least a bachelorís degree in a business related area.
A serious school is better and will help you along the way. An MBA can be helpful but is not required at all.
- Can Invest Directly or Indirectly
- Money managers either directly make investments or help others by providing investment advice. If they are in the
first business they are usually called portfolio managers. If they are in the second, they are generally called
- A Variety of Compensation Approaches Available for Planners
- Financial planners can be compensated on a flat per-hour fee basis, a commission basis or both.
The way you are paid in this business clearly affects the incentives you have with your customers.
- It's Important to Have a Broad Understanding of Business
- One of the exciting things about investing is that you get rewarded for knowing how business works.
People who understand and enjoy business are among the most likely to succeed in this arena.